It's finally getting chilly out after weeks and weeks of warm winter weather. It's finally time to pull out the sweaters and layering pieces. It's important to always care for your clothing during the season and even more important to preserve them for seasons to come. One of my favorite winter fabrics is cashmere but it can be VERY easy to damage. I wish I knew how to care for cashmere back when I purchased my first sweater. I had no clue what I was doing and wound up ruining it. Don't make the same mistakes I did! Check out these 7 easy tips to preserving and caring for your cashmere sweater.
1. Always hand wash your cashmere sweater in cold water. It's best to wash with woolite or you can opt for baby shampoo.
2. Only wash the sweater a few times each season.
3.Never hold up a wet cashmere sweater by the shoulders, this will stretch it out. Keep your cashmere in a lump when you pick it up after washing.
4. When drying it's fastest to dry the sweater in a salad spinner, but if you don't own one you can also lay it flat on a dry towel instead. It's also a good idea to lay it flat to dry after spinning too.
5. Fold the sweater in thirds to make sure that there are no crease lines. NEVER hang the sweater, it will create dimples on the shoulders and stretch it out.
6. If you do choose to have your sweater dry cleaned ask them to store it in a separate bag from all of the other garments to prevent shedding.
7. ALWAYS clean your cashmere before storing it away for the winter.